How To Start Cricket Bat Making Business
Do you want to start a cricket bat making business? Find here a detailed guide about how to start a small scale cricket bat manufacturing business of your own.
Cricket is one of the most popular sports in the world. Basically, it is the 3rd most popular sports globally after football and basketball. Mainly it is popular in the commonwealth countries like England, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Australia, New Zealand, Carribeans and South Africa.
Cricket owes its popularity to the Indian Sub-continent, Australia, and England. Originated in England, the game quickly became popular in all the swaths of lands that were once colonized by the Great Britain. And it becomes third most watched competition worldwide.
Cricket Bat Market Potential
The all these statistics prove the immense popularity of cricket. Additionally, it proves the growing demand of the things related to cricket. And definitely, cricket bat is one of the most important things in this game.
Ever increasing interest of playing cricket among the youths is the major reason for the increasing demand of cricket bat. Additionally, the overall promotions during the major tournaments are fuelling the desire of playing cricket among the children. You can find so many small and medium sized cricket academy throughout our country. Furthermore, the business has great export potential too. Hence, this is the perfect time for starting a cricket bat manufacturing business for the new entrepreneurs.
10 Useful Facts About Cricket Bats
- A cricket bat is a piece of equipment used by batsmen in the sport of cricket to hit the ball.
- The length of the bat may be no more than 38 inches (965 mm) and the width no more than 4.25 inches (108 mm). However, you can find different types of bats in the store. Basically, these are for adults, youths and even for children.
- There is no rule related to the standard weight of cricket bat. The weight of cricket bat usually is around 1.2 to 1.4 kilogram.
- The cricket bat was first used in 1624.
- Willow wood is considered as the traditional material used to create the cricket bat. The linseed oil is used to treat the willow wood.
- The cricket bat was originally shaped like a hockey stick (1624) as the batsman had to hit the ball out of the bowler’s hands. Then as cricket laws (1770) changed, the bat became straight.
- In India, cricket bats were introduced in the 1920s. They were made from willow trees found in Kashmir.
- The wooden blade is fixed to a cylindrical handle which has a rubber grip. Near to the handle, you will find the shoulders of the bat while the edge is referred to the as the toe of the bat.
- Basically, the players choose the specific bats according to their personal need. And most of the renowned cricketers use personalized bats according to their specific requirements.
- You can find the world’s oldest cricket bat in the Sandham Room at The Oval in London. This displayed bat was created in 1729.
Licensing & Permissions for Cricket Bat Making Business
Starting cricket bats making business doesn’t attract huge licensing issues. However, it is important you start with a proper form of registered organization. Also, you can start a small unit as proprietorship company. Apart from the registration, you need to obtain MSME Udyog Aadhaar Registration of your unit. Additionally, apply for a ‘No Objection Certificate’ from the local authority.
In this industry, brand name plays an important role. Hence, your company must have a brand name which you can secure with Trademark registration. Finally, talk to a local consultant for the upcoming tax and compliance liabilities of your business.
Cricket Bat Making Plant Setup & Machinery
For setting up a unit, you must have space. Generally, a 500 Sq Ft space is sufficient for a small scale operation. However, you must have a damp proof floor there. Also, check the availability of the electricity and water supply for general uses.
The manufacturing operation doesn’t demand any involvement of heavy machinery. Some of the most important equipment and tools are Band Saw Machine, Bat processing machine power operated, Bat finishing machine power operated, Wood working lathe with motor (power operated), tools and
In starting the commercial production, you will need to have the skilled and efficient manpower. In any startup company, it is important to have knowledgeable and experienced employees for the smooth operation. Basically, you will need to hire employees for production, marketing, and accounting purpose. In addition to that, use a right ERP Software for the overall control of the business.
Cricket Bat Manufacturing Process
Basically, willow is the best wood for making quality bats. However, you can use other quality woods also.
First of all, shape the willow clefts in the desired shape and sizes. Then short out the willow clefts for
finishing in plain bats, which has no marks on grain side. Select the defective clefts having knots for finishing of Terry armored for parchment.
After shaping the clefts by hand, fix the cane handle made of cane with the insertion of the rubber
sheet with synthetic glue. Finally, press the bats after finishing in the machine.
Bleach the plain bats with hydrogen peroxide and liquid ammonia. Some plain unbleached bats are dipped in linseed oil for oiling to give strength to wood. Cover the defective ones with poplin cloth and then apply the Duco paint on it.
Others are wrapped with twine and fixed with parchment and dried. Cover the cane handle with twine after finishing. Fix the rubber grip on the handle with cello tape. Finally, apply the stickers on both sides of bats and then pack for despatch.
Initiating a cricket bat manufacturing business is comparatively easier than some other businesses. However, you must pay attention to the brand development, distribution, and product launching.